It is hard to believe how fast our fall has been going and that we have already started into the month of November. As the fall has progressed, the Transportation Department of the Public Schools Branch has been reviewing bus runs and changes all across the Island that were made to protect against Covid. As they reviewed the new bussing arrangement in our family of schools, they had concerns regarding the afternoon. The three main concerns were the length of time that Bloomfield students were on busses, the impact that was happening in regards to Hernewood’s dismissal time and lost instructional time for Bloomfield as our school was having to dismiss a few minutes early. As a result of these two concerns, changes are going to be happening for the afternoon only and it means that transfers are going to begin happening again at Hernewood. This change is going to take effect on Monday November 9th.
As a result of the good place that our province has been placed in regarding Covid 19, the Public Schools Branch believes it is safe to resume transfers in the afternoon at Hernewood with the precaution that two additional busses will be leaving Bloomfield each afternoon and will minimize the number of kids on each transfer bus. They have also been clear that if the situation in the province changes, that they may resume the practice that we have been using up to this point and stop transfers again.
This will mean a few changes for you and your children:
1) In regards to bus numbers the afternoon will look as follows:
• 682 Charlene Costain will transport her students only
• 622 Loman Murphy will transport his students only
• 541 Donna Campbell will transport her students only
• 750 Adair Shaw will transport his students only
• 751 Tommy Smallman will transport his students home and the students on bus 680 Randy Adams to Hernewood for Transfer to Randy.
• 564 Jamie Hierlihy will transport his students home and the students on bus 752 Kevin Bonnis to Hernewood for Transfer to Kevin.
• 582 Adam Henderson will transport his students home and the students on buses 543 Virginia Gray, 505 Michael MacDonald, 534 Michael Cahill and 597 Rodney MacIsaac to Hernewood to transfer to Virginia, Michael M, Michael C and Rodney.
• 550 Derrek McCormick will transport his students home and the students on buses 771 Krista Bulger to Hernewood for Transfer to Krista.
• 773 Michelle Hickey will transport her students home and the students on buses 774 Adam Buchanan, 772 Justin Rogers, 760 Carol Gillis to Hernewood for Transfer to Adam, Justin and Carol.
2)Busses will now be leaving Bloomfield in the afternoon at 2:55 instead of 2:40. So that means that early pick up of students in the afternoon could happen until 2:15. After school pickup would now be able to happen beginning at 2:55 once the last bus has left the parking lot.
In closing, this has certainly been a year of change. We have so appreciated your support and cooperation with all of the protocols implemented to keep your children safe this year. As we continue to navigate this together, don’t hesitate to sing out with a question or concern. Thanks and take care.
Principal, Bloomfield Elementary